Thursday, August 25, 2016

¾ of a million people can’t be wrong, Top Gun and ChiliFest

I realize my weekly wrap up is running a bit late this week.  So many things to wrap my head around! I have some pretty exciting news as I write this but you’re going to have to wait until the end because I’m an OCD girl that’s all about chronological order. 

You know those friends that you don’t get to see often enough? You’ve been through everything together over the last 20 years including college, boys, friendships, hardships, deaths, laughter and some of the best memories in the world.  And then life happens.  People move, get married, have babies, careers, you name it.  But it doesn’t matter if you see each other once a year or once a week.  They will always be a VIP in your heart.  Friday night I was blessed to have dinner with two of my “oldies but goodies” and a new addition.  It wasn’t the O.P. on the hill in Cedar Falls but I did get to meet up with Molly and Sara at Saints Jordan Creek.  As well as Sara’s beautiful daughter Ava.  I mean, seriously, how cute is this kid? She melted my cold, black heart all over the place.  I could’ve spent hours watching  her and dancing with my little pumpkin. Please ignore my wrinkles and focus on the ponytailed darling on my lap. 
 Saturday was a straight riot. I don’t have any better words for it than that.  Volley’s hosted an 80’s themed sand volleyball tournament.  Although I wasn’t released by the doctor to play, I was there watching, cheering as “Coach Hollywood”.  Oh yes, our team went as Top Gun.  Wife beaters, cutoff jeans, aviators, dog tags and all.  Even though we didn’t take 1st place, it was a great day with Viper, Slider, Maverick, Iceman, Goose and Charlie, AKA Mel, Lukas, Drew, Brian, Tom and Misty.  We scored extra points when we serenaded the bar manager with an epic rendition of "You've lost that loving feeling". After the tourney we were joined by more friends and had a wonderful BBQ at Lukas’s casa.  I laughed, I cried, I’m proud that I didn’t hurl after 20 hours of partying with the BeaverCrew.  You know it’s an epic night when your BFF is trying to climb into your attic at 4 in the morning because he’s SURE there is a hobo living up there.  What the hell, right?
Needless to say Sunday was pretty much a total loss of productivity.  But I did cap off the night grilling and chilling around the firepit with Ben after he made me dinner.  Does anyone else go into what I like to call the “fire trance”? I swear when I’m staring at a fire I lose all functions and just sit there in a trance, possibly drooling and sleeping with my eyes open.  It was relaxation at its finest to end my weekend. 

Tuesday night was the first edition of BeaverCrew Chili Fest 2016. The name pretty much speaks for itself.  Chili with all the fixings with Mel, Misty, Lukas, Ryan, Brian, Summer and Ben.  Recipes for the baked grill cheese and chili bar can be found on my Testing Trendy 1, 2, 3 blog.  We stuffed our faces, partook in some adult beverages and played Cards Against Humanity.    
Speaking of that other little blog I write…let me start with my day. I would say it’s safe to say my face at work today was reminiscent of the now famous Michael Phelps picture from the Olympics.  99% of the time I love my job.  Today was not one of those days. I had to keep reminding myself to stop scowling or I was going to get more wrinkles. 
I was cleared to go back to training tonight which was wonderful! It was so great to sweat with Trainer Ben and Molly.  Well, Trainer Ben couldn’t do much with us as he flipped his bike Sunday night and has something like 36 stitches all over his body.  Dudes a champ though. I would still be in the fetal position on the trail crying.  Anyway, I get home from training after working out some much needed aggression and frustration and see that Testing Trendy has hit a major milestone.  This blog I started awhile back with Pinterest Experiments hit 750,000 VIEWS TONIGHT! That’s right, people.  Three quarter of a MILLION views. Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit with pride at the accomplishment of this labor of love and passion of mine.  I want to give a very special and heartfelt thank you to anyone that has followed the blog, put up with tasting my experiments and supported my crazy ideas. I realize that Martha Stewart and Rachel Ray are not shaking in their boots fearing I’m going to take over their world but for a lady from small town Iowa that just loves to write and cook and share with friends, it’s a pretty big deal to me.  Next stop? A cool ONE MILLION (said in a terrible Austin Powers voice).  #fearless40

 

No comments:

Post a Comment